As we breezed right through April and May is upon us, I started to pull out some of my summer go-to items. It has been in the 70s and 80s lately in Kansas City, and as I started to sort through my too-hot “lightweight” sweaters, I thought to myself, What do I wish I had ready to go in my closet on a day like today? So I complied this list of 7 items that are my go-tos on the first HOT day of Spring/Summer.
1. Tan Towelettes-I sware by Kate Somerville’s 360 wipes, but Lancome Flash Bronze is nice too.
2. A White Blazer-I have two: one from JCrew (classic and lasts forever), and one from Forever 21 (cheap, but a modern style)
3. Oversized Sunglasses-I have an endless supply of oversized sunglasses that I wear year-round (even when the cloud coverage makes it hard to see through the lenses). My favorites are my Chanel pair and my LOFT mirrored Sunnies.
4. White Shirt Dress-There really isn’t anything easier during a hot day to throw on and look effortlessly chic than a white shirt dress. I love this sleeveless 3.1 Philip Lim dress, but I have a 3/4 sleeved crisp one from Gap and another sleeveless one from H&M that I cannot lie without in the heat.
5. Denim Cutoffs-If these don’t reek of hot weather wear, I don’t know what does. Denim cutoffs and a white v-neck tee can take you pretty much everywhere when it’s steamy outside. Converse sneaks? Bonus. My two favorite pairs are my trusty Levi’s and my distress Articles of Society pair that I picked up last spring in the Nordstrom junior department.
6. One-Piece Swimsuit-I adore a good one-piece swimsuit to wear as a bodysuit. It acts as a top with a pair of denim cutoffs or a skirt, and is perfect for the impromptu dip in the pool or weekend escape. My favorite two are the one pictured (from JCrew), and a black Norma Kamali one-piece that, when worn as a top, looks like a cute halter top.
7. SPF Lipbalm w/Color-I always wear tinted moisturizer with SPF in it, and I apply an extra layer of Coppertone Water Babies (don’t judge me-I like the smell) sunscreen on top of it beneath my foundation during the sunnier months, but one thing that I don’t forget is my lips! They burn as easy, if not easier than our faces do. A couple years back I discovered fresh‘s SPF lipbalm that give you protection, color, and a sheen in one stick. It’s a lifesaver and it’s pretty!